Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Best Way to Cook Bacon

In honor of the transcendent "Vegetarian, Except for Bacon" population, I have selected cured pork as the topic of my first Flexitarian post. So what is the secret to making perfect bacon; straight, crispy, and splatter-free every time?

The broiler pan. Yes that's right, do the bacon in your oven! Grease drips down into the pan, while the strips stay straight and crispy on top. Cook at 400° for 15-20 minutes; and flip every strip over to its other side about half way through the cooking time.

When I devote an afternoon to cooking, I like to plan recipes for two complimentary dishes so I can shop for ingredients once, and use them in different ways. Today, my common ingredients of: Bacon, Milk, Half & Half, Butter, and Fresh Sage leaves were used for 1. Clam Chowder, and 2. Mushroom Bacon Mac & Cheese. Recipes to follow!


No comments: